Thursday, June 12, 2008

So it's Rorschach and Prozac and everything is groovy! or, 10 reasons why Nick Cave is awesome

I cannot stop listening to this guy. I'm pretty sure that this is going to be my Big Discovery Of The Year™ the way Patrick Wolf was last year.

The Mercy Seat
Of course. Acoustic performance of a portion of the song. The original is immense, but I think the stripped-down sound lends itself nicely as well.


Henry Lee
A duet with PJ Harvey, one of my favorite people. It's unreal how good these two sound together. Tis a shame that it didn't work out between them. Also, the video was shot in one take, which is pretty cool.


Do You Love Me?
Let Love In was my third album after Murder Ballads and The Boatman's Call. I remember the first time I heard this song, when the piano kicked in I'm like awww fuck yeah, son.


Stagger Lee
COOLEST BASSLINE EVAR. Also, dance moves.


John Finn's Wife
I can't find anything for this song on Youtube and that makes me sad. The strings. The STRINGS. I love how this song just races along and pulls you in. Also, awesome imagery.
Well, midnight came and clock did strike/And in she came, did John Finn's wife/With legs like scissors and butcher's knives/Tattooed breasts and flaming eyes/And a crimson carnation in her teeth/Carving her way through the dance floor/And I'm standing over by the bandstand/Every eye gaping on John Finn's wife/Yeah, every eye gaping on John Finn's wife...

Into My Arms
Beautiful.


Deanna
FUCKING NUTS. I love how unabashedly over the top ridiculous this is.


As I Sat Sadly By Her Side
Oh, it hurts.


There She Goes, My Beautiful World
I don't normally like gospel choirs (o hay Witness!) but this song is killer and I love it to a degree that it probably ridiculous. The lyrics are amazing. (Although this performance cuts out one of my favorite bits.)
The wintergreen, the juniper/The cornflower and the chicory/All the words you said to me/Still vibrating in the air/The elm, the ash and the linden tree/The dark and deep enchanted sea/The trembling moon and the stars unfurled/There she goes, my beautiful world..../I will kneel at your feet/I will lie at your door/I will rock you to sleep/I will roll on the floor/And I'll ask for nothing/Nothing in this life/I'll ask for nothing/Give me ever-lasting life/I just want to move the world.


Loverman
The full-length version of this song is 6 minutes of glorious and epic, even though he apparently can't spell 'know' or 'any'.

No comments: