Wednesday, September 24, 2008

arghhhh!



So I got a packet from Cornish today, and it told me that I should have my application in by November - fine, I can do that. But the portfolio review is in DECEMBER/JANUARY. I seriously don't know if I can have everything I need done by then. Cornish's requirements are 5 black and white observation pieces, and 5 pieces that have a central theme. Knowing what a slow worker I am, that could be a problem. But I am going to get on this right away! I'm going to start my flower concentration pieces ASAP, so if I have at least five done by the end of the year I should be set, and there's my charcoal still life that I'm almost finished with, and I'm planning on doing another self portrait (my last one was based off a photograph). So I need to come up with three more black and white things. I can do this!!

(Yeah, so basically right now Cornish is my first choice, Evergreen's my safety school, I'm visiting Pacific Northwest College of Art in Portland next weekend, and I need to set up a visit to Western soon. Trish recommended applying to no more than five schools, so I should be okay with four, and even if I don't get into the other three, Evergreen is hella easy to get into. So it's all good.)


Anyway, my sketchbook. Goddamn, I love having a scanner!



The rough of my still life for APSA. We were supposed to do shiny objects but all the things provided in the classroom sucked, so I did most of mine at home. My attempt to satisfy the Rule of Thirds - the vase in the upper left, the wineglass in the upper right, the cup thingy in the lower right, and the middle candle slightly off center despite being in the middle segment. I'm still not done with the final, I'm having trouble with the wineglass and the candles. The cup and the vase look really nice, though. I might bring it in to Linda on Friday and ask her for help. It's due on Tuesday.



Notes (I write in my sketchbooks a lot):
Caroline @ Farmer's Market, 9/6/08
super rough draft. the eyes are all wrong.
It looks nothing like her. Decent starting point, I guess.
face is too long.

So yeah, that basically says it all. I'm working on this painting right now (acrylic and colored pencil) and it looks much more like Caroline! I might set it aside for a little while just because I can't use it in my Cornish audition, and those pieces need to be my priority... Also, the scanner fucked up the colors a lot - I DID actually color in her skin, it's not supposed to be glaringly white.



Elise @ the Farmer's Market 9/6
outlining shadows. some kind of weird shapes in there, w/her hair...
dark eyes.
i want her hair to match the flowers.
She looks too innocent, she needs to be more devious!
it has everything to do with the lighting.

This is going to be in oils, which I've never done before, so omgexciting. I may or may not use this for my flower concentration, but right now I'm leaning towards not.



Way to Normal leaked. I can't wait to buy it off iTunes next week. The sound quality of the ripped Myspace tracks is awful and makes my ears hurt (and normally I'm not a big stickler for that), and that's too bad because the album is mind-blowingly awesome. Delicious pop hooks, tons of profanity, hilarious tracks juxtaposed with heartbreakingly gorgeous ones, and piano hammerage galore!! What more could I want out of a Ben album? Let's have a dance off.


I went to a protest today and I might have pictures soon.

No comments: